Pages

Sunday 15 April 2012

The Ten Commandments - A Global Manifesto

I was recently asked the following question:

If you had the power to "edit" the Ten Commandments, what changes might you make?


While it may seem like a relatively pointless hypothetical question, I think it allows me to address some of the concerns I have that relate to issues on a global scale.

It is written from the perspective of God, which I hope doesn't offend too many readers.


1. Thou shalt respect all other religions and belief systems. No 'holy war' should be declared in my name as all of mankind are my children, regardless of colour, creed or faith.
2. Thou shalt respect the rights of women and not use my name in vain to continually repress their rights. 
3. Respect thine natural environment and do everything in your power to protect endangered species and preserve natural habitats that are being ruined for human consumption.
4. Ensure that all men and women on my planet have economic rights as well as political rights. The latter has little meaning without the former. I therefore entrust man with creating a global economic system that ensures every man and women has access to sufficient food and clean water.
5. Do onto others as you would have done onto you.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Provide all children on my planet with an education. How can'st thou knowest if thine next Einstein or Gandhi livest in sub-Sahara Africa or Palestine? Ensure thou givest my children this greatest gift of all.
8. Banish all those who abuse my name to preserve dated conservative traditions. Homosexuality is no more a sin than eating too much chocolate cake. Thou must banish those who manipulate and distort dated scripture.
9. Perform at least one kind gesture for a stranger each and every day. This shalt create a virtuous circle which would immeasurably improve life upon thine blighted planet. 
10. Honour thy mother and father. But if they ever abused thee, treat them with the scorn they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment